330.231.8030 gmherrera13@gmail.com

.

.
/

Monday, August 2, 2010

Texturification

This summer has been a summer of my texture/stucco/faux finish techniques really taking off. People are starting to get a little braver, and are ready to try new things.  Not expensive things, just new and different.  I thought I would do a little clarification on the different techniques, or if you will "texturification". 

Faux Finishes
   --- Faux finishes are done with paint.  You can rag, sponge, or do a marble effect.  Almost anything from paper towels to garbage bags can be used to faux finish with.  There is no texture finish involved in this process.  It's flat, and gives the illusion of whatever pattern you want.

Texture
  --- Texture/Stucco finishes are done with a finish of stucco over existing walls.  Many people are confused when we say texture and stucco in the same sentence.  Yes, stucco is also done outside.  You mainly see it in the southwest.  Think adobe!  George has worked with interior stucco/texture and perfected a mix to go straight on interior walls.  It's a process of several days that gives your walls a kick and boldness.  It can be as smooth or as funky as you want it to be.  

What most people are finding, and what I am heavily promoting, is application over existing wallpaper.  Old wallpaper, especially when put on straight over plaster walls, simply does not age well!  When you try to take it off 30 years later, it comes off in chunks or hard strips.  I have  perfected a tested way of applying smooth or chunky finishes over wallpaper.  Seams, imperfections, holes and all disappear and you're left with a beautiful finish.  Paint over it and boom -- you have a brand new wall.  It's durable, water-resistant and snazzy to behold!

Another fun use for texture, and a big money-saver is to use it to cover up a yucky fireplace.  Sometimes the fireplace and hearth are old, out-of-date and unsightly.  I re-did Missy's Aunt Fern's fireplace and hearth awhile back.  You can visit that post here.  Using stucco to re-do a hearth, and painting the fireplace itself saves you money but beautifies and makes it look alive again!

Hopefully this might answer some of your questions.  I have had it in my home for a long time now.  It's durability has been tested over and over and has passed the test.  If you're just looking to patch some holes, plaster chunks, or drywall -- I can do that too.  I can make your wall look like new.  Call today and I'll get your walls jazzed up before the snow flies.

More pictures are to come of a commercial project I am doing, and several homes.  Stucco is involved in all of them.  Especially over wallpaper!  I am a small business, but give big quality and satisfaction -- call me for your huge or small hallway project, those walls that a million little hands will touch everyday, motels big and small I do it all.  

No comments: